Friday, August 14, 2026

2019 - 2026 Look How Far You've Come

Look how far you've come.

Okay, so since March of 2019... a LOT has changed.  A lot.  We've had really great times.  We've had really tough times.  In it all, God continues to be good.  

Right after the picture was taken in that last March 2019 post, I was offered the position as Director of Children's Ministries and Cornerstone Preschool at Trinity Church... with a pretty much newborn.  Months later, COVID hit.  Lockdowns.  Uncertainty.  The world is a much different place now.  Lots of things have changed - some for the good, some for the not so good.  

In the thick of COVID, we continued to homeschool.  Homeschooling you, Madelyn, has been one of the greatest joys of my life.  You challenged my patience at times, I probably annoyed you more than I'm aware.  You struggled with laziness and lack of self-motivation.  We butt heads, especially with math, and I would have to remind you time and time again that "we're on the same team.  I'm just trying to help you."  Your phone and video games would be a distraction.  In the challenges, however, I got to spend those hours upon hours with you, discovering who you are and learning who you aren't.  I'll always have joy in my soul when I think about the times we read and snuggled up in a blanket together on that big, ugly, brown beanbag chair that was always covered with dog hair.  Hearing the strangely calming music from Animal Crossing as you worked on your assignments.  Just being with you.  You are so smart and incredibly funny.  Your biggest hindrances have been your fear of the unknown, lack of confidence, and taking the easy way out.  This will hurt you in the years to come, but it will help you become a stronger person in the end.

We went through some dark times after you passed out at the doctors office.  You spiraled and became afraid to leave the house, not even wanting to go to a co-op that you loved.  I'll never forget your shaking hand when I dragged guided you back into co-op that first day.  You were a mess, and my heart was breaking.  But you pushed through... did the hard thing and eventually began to thrive there again.  I would second-guess our choice to homeschool for years to come.  Did it contribute to your fears and seclusion?  I still question it to this day.  You got a job at Cornerstone Preschool as a sub.  This was also very challenging for you... again held back by your own fear.  But you pushed through and eventually became an assistant in the Discovery Class, which you l.o.v.e.d.  And you were so good at it!  

Through all of this, you have been the BEST sister to Lucas.  He has been a challenge at times, but he's the sweetest, happiest boy and has brought us a lot of joy.  I believe your heart for children with special needs grew from your love of him.  

You also did so many things with children at Trinity.  Volunteered at GAK, VBS, Sunday School.  Children are always drawn to you.  You have been given the gift of patience and compassion for children.  

 

Homeschool couldn't last forever, and you graduated.

 

Early Childhood Education degree was the goal at Montgomery County Community College.  You got great grades and were allllmmost through.  Just 2 classes to go.  Student teaching, I was thrilled that you got to do it at Cornerstone!  And you were, too... until you actually started to do it.  Your fear took over.  You pushed yourself as much as you could.  Your stomach would turn, and you would begin to panic.  I tried so hard to help you.  But nothing I said or did helped.  Finally, you decided to drop out of your final classes.  This was so tough, and I felt like it was the wrong decision - the easy way out.  You only had 2 months to go and you would be done.  In the end, you decided to change your major.  You graduated with an AA in Liberal Arts.  The first person in my side of the family to get a degree!  

In 2025, you were hired as a behavior support specialist at Cornerstone for a little girl with some behavior challenges.  I was so proud how you went above and beyond to support her, writing your own behavioral plan, documenting, and discussing her progress/challenges with her parents each day.  That's a very difficult and important task!  Because of you, she was able to stay at Cornerstone.  And you ended up being her favorite part about the school year, and her family was so grateful.  These experiences are just a part of the plan I know God has for your life.  

Summer of 2026, you walked into Giant and asked if there were any job openings.  They told you that could come back in a little bit for an interview.  I was so proud of you for taking those steps.  They hired you, and you started a job in the bakery.  And you quickly realized that it was not a good situation.  The easy thing would've been for you to just not show up.  But you didn't do that.  You sought advice from your parents, and you did the right thing... which was also the hard thing.  You held your ground and spoke up to management.  And because you faced your fears, they moved you to cashier, which you really seem to enjoy.  Little miss introvert finds herself chatting to complete strangers about their cats at checkout, and it brings you happiness.  Maybe you're not an introvert at all.  Maybe you've just let your fear and lack of confidence rule over you.  We're all still discovering who we are as we walk this life.  I know I am.  You are, too.  

Miku.  I can't talk about who you are without mentioning your strange obsession with this character!  Your room (up until a few days ago) has slowly been turning turquoise and full of these dolls.  Expensive ones!  

Most recently, you haven't been attending church.  I wish this would change.  My prayer for you is that you find your identity in Christ and in nothing else.  That you allow him to use your gifts and talents to serve others and glorify Him.  

Through all of these years, there has been this boy in your life.  His name is Kory, and you guys became best friends.  Met at co-op.  Have so many things in common.  Complement each other in ways that I (and many other people) couldn't help but feel like you were "meant for each other."  You were inseparable and probably in love for far longer than you even realized.  

He asked to date you several times, but you let your fear rule and declined.  It was at the point that you realized you were about to lose your best friend if you didn't date him because he couldn't bear to be "just friends" with you.  I'll never forget the time you were spiraling (again), so we got into the car and just drove and talked.  Some of our best talks happened in the car.  My advice was to just try.  Try to date him just to see how it goes.  And you tried.  And guess what?!  You had good times and bad times.  When he went away to college, it was hard.  We weren't sure you would make it.  

August 8, 2026: 


I've been praying about your future husband since you were born.  And look what God did.  We could not have asked for a better partner in life for you.  And let me be clear - none of this is a "result" of my prayers, but because of God's goodness and faithfulness.  "He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it."  Philippians 1:6.  And now we have a wedding date set for October 16, 2027, which will be the 5th anniversary of your first date.  What a ride this life has been!  

Beyond that, you are going to be starting a new job as a paraprofessional at Boyertown Elementary School, where your brother will go.  Both of my babies back at the same building once more.  Started together at Cornerstone right in our front yard, and now moving on to BES right in our backyard.  

My goodness, I love you, Madelyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment